Tuesday 30 April 2013

Fashion Design - my 'hanky hem' skirt

Good Evening Bloggers,

I thought it was about time I updated my blog to show you my latest fashion statement!! I started this skirt a good 2 months ago now but it has been 'resting' on my mannequin half finished for the last month or so. I was very excited initially when I started it but then a couple of comments made on Facebook whilst it was in progress put me off continuing with it. When I posted this image, a friend of mine commented that it 'looked like something found in an operating theatre'!!

The thing is, I could see what she was saying
and I wasn't sure what I could do to dull        
the colours down a little. I left it for a while and looked at it sitting loking forlorn on my mannequin every now and then. Eventually the plan came together in my head.

For a moment though, let me go back to the very beginning........
I started at the waistband and worked with fabric scraps. I stitched lots of box pleats into the fabrics pinned around the waist and hips.


      So after a long break and much thought, I decided to add many more fabric scraps onto the 'hanky hem'. As the first layer was quite 'colourful' and a little OTT, I decided to limit the colours on the next layer to darker shades, mainly black. This is the front and rear view of the work in progress. Once I have finished stitching the hanky hem, I am planning to add some further detail on the waist and hips. Watch this space to see how I develop this. In the meantime ask yourself 'Does she even know what she plans to do, or is she bluffing'!!!!!!! Hee hee



                            









No comments:

Post a Comment