Tuesday 12 March 2013

Fashion Design - making a dress is far too hard!!!!

Good Evening,
A week or two ago, I was feeling confident about making garments without patterns. I managed to retrieve my dressmakers dummy from a friend which was purchased for me around 27 years ago by my parents when I first got into sewing (at the young age of 13 ish). However, this project made me realise that the dressmakers dummy I used 27 years ago was either relevent to my actual size 27 years ago but not now OR that body shape has changed a lot in the 27 years since it was first made!!!!! This spindly mannequin with very little in the way of bust or bum was never going to 'fill out' the dress I wanted to make in my size. I had failed before I started really, however, desperate to have a go, I persevered (for a while!!)





 I started by draping and pinning lots of fabric pieces over the mannequin.












I started stitching the bodice together when I felt happy it was working. I then worked on draping fabrics for the skirt.












I started pleating the skirt fabrics and sewing them on to the bodice. At this point, I tried the dress on. What a major disappointment!! Although I had extended the mannequin to it's full size, the dress still 'hung' from her. However on me, the dress was tight and bumpy in places. Whereas the pleats and gathers hung nicely on the mannequin, on me they stuck out in all the most unflattering places!! I realised at this point that I needed a 2013 style body double with a proper bust and a proper bum if I was to continue making any kind of patternless clothing!!!!

This is how I left the dress - looking much like me - disgruntled, ruffled and lacking confidence!!!!!

It took me a week to cheer up. Being able to borrow a brand new mannequin just my size was one of the major factors that has since brightened my horizons and my next project is looking interesting so far I am pleased to say. Update coming soon................




No comments:

Post a Comment