Sunday 24 March 2013

Fashion Design - simplifying things

Good Evening Bloggers,
A short post, just to update on my latest 'Fashion Statement'.

Following the disaster that was a failed patchwork dress, I decided to simplify things a little and start with a skirt. Having secured the use of a borrowed mannequin with bum and bust, I felt much more positive that I could make a skirt that was indeed the correct size and shape to fit me (if I should decide to ever wear it). I prepared all my scraps of fabric and recyclable garments and got to work!! I pinned fabric pieces onto the mannequin as I went.






 I used pieces of cut off courdroy trouser hems in the waistband as they are strong. The main front panel is part of an old top. The burgundy piece is a piece of tablecloth. On close inspection you can see a tassle from the corner of the tablecloth!!




 I used some of the fabric from a silky top to make a gathered piece around the hem and some tartan ribbon I was given added some smaller frills. I think the colours all tie in pretty well together. The skirt was still a little short so I wanted to add more frills and length. I wanted to make the hem asymmetric as this followed the shape of the emerging design.



 




I am pretty pleased with the final result and may consider wearing it someday. I can still see lots of aspects I can improve. My main aim now, is to incorporate smaller fabric scraps with further pleated and gathered details.
 
It just goes to show what one can make with a little practise, patience and a few scrap materials!! Oh, and a mannequin with bum and bust!!


5 comments:

  1. I need me a mannequin with bum and bust!! I love your skirt. Not exactly my style, but it gives me great ideas. I am so sick of jeans all the time.

    Found your blog via a post by The Thread Studio on Facebook and I think I'm going to enjoy it.

    ~Faith
    http://airynothing.net/Blogs/anblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith, Thanks so much for your reply. I was shocked to see that 261 people had read my blog yesterday!!!! Now I know why - it must have been a result of the post on 'The Thread Studio'. I have had a look on 2 facebook pages with that name but can't see anything related to my blog. Are you able to send me a link to it or tell me more about what they said. Was there a picture of my work?

      Yes, having a 'shapely' mannequin has been a lifesaver. Glad to hear my work has given you some ideas. I was inspired by 'Gibbous Fashions' work. Find her on Facebook and check out her stunning work.

      With all these new blog readers suddenly, I suppose I had better get writing my next blog, not to mention working on the skirt that has been 'resting' on my mannequin for the last 4 weeks - oops!!!!

      Delete
    2. Hi Faith, I found the link on The Thread Studio - thanks

      Delete
  2. Brilliant skirt, well done. Hope to see pics of the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Annette. I am currently working on a 'hanky hem' skirt made from re-claimed garments and fabric scraps. I will endeavour to take a few pics and write a new blog post asap. It is so great to hear my readers comments. All I see usually on my admin page is the number of readers. It's great to hear what you actually think - positive or negative.

      Delete