Saturday 26 January 2013

A wonderful workshop with Cas Holmes

24.01.13 - Wow whee, where do I start today. I have had such an amazing day, the ideas I have flying around in my head right now are going to take some taming over the coming weekend!! Do I really have the time to go to work tomorrow? NO, I need to work on my sewing machine. Hmmmm, I wish.....

I had a chat with Cas Holmes last October at The Knitting & Stitching show at Ally Pally. I asked her about the possibility of attending one of her workshops not really thinking it would ever happen. I am soooo glad it did!!. I purchased her book and read through it a few times. I tried out many of the techniques she described and created lots of printed, dyed and painted pieces. All was fine until I attempted to put these pieces together in some coherent way. I was stuck, I gave up. This was October..........

Now, January 24th 2013, I am feeling so much more confident in my ability to create some kind of a coherent composition bringing together shapes, colours, patterns, drawings, prints, scraps etc etc. I learned so much today. What did I learn?? Hmmm, it is really hard to describe.... I learned to be less precious and to dive into the work. Not to worry so much, each layer can be changed, altered, built up, stripped back and added to. I also realise that sometimes working smaller is good. It allows me to fill the space more effectively with the beautiful pieces, rather than big spaces with bits that may be better left behind (for next time).
My workstation (messy of course!!!)
 
                                                                          My prints
 
Seeing Cas's work all around the house was amazing. I was stunned to see how much more beautiful it is in the flesh than the images in the book. Of course, photos just cannot convey the transluscent layers in quite the way the eye really sees them.
 

My work from today - I need to stitch into the layers next
 
The only problem I have with today is the realisation of how far I have to go still to be able to create anything even close to the beauty I saw today. The way I am consoling myself is that I will never, can never create a Cas Holmes. I am me and I will create a Barrett-Smith with hints of Cas Holmes!!!

Sounds good to me.

Thank-you for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment